Statistics reveal 74 percent of burglars come into homes THIS way
Shocking statistics revealed by a study from MoneySuperMarket show that 74% of burglars break and enter into homes through the front door.
Tom Flack, editor-in-chief at MoneySuperMarket, said: “As the nights draw in, it’s important to protect your home from theft, as research reveals that over half of burglaries take place during the evening or night.
“Claiming on your home insurance if someone breaks in without forcing entry may be difficult, especially if there is no evidence of a crime being committed."
Moneysupermarket.com have provided some handy tips to keep your home safe from thieves:
- Keep all items of value away from windows. This will ensure that anything of value is kept out of sight from an opportunistic thief.
- Ensure that you lock all windows and doors before leaving the house. This might sound a bit of a no brainer, but by neglecting this simple measure you are effectively leaving the door wide open for thieves to come in and out. It will also make it more difficult for you to make a claim as there will be no signs of a forced entry.
- Regularly check the state of your locks. It's easy to forget that locks do not have an unlimited lifespan. If your lock has seen better days then this could make it easier for a thief to break in, so replace any older weaker locks with new ones. This could also drive down the cost of your premiums.
- Don't leave items of high value lying around the house. If a thief does enter your property they aren't going to want to stick around for long, so will grab anything in sight that may be of a high financial value. By storing away items such as jewellery, laptops, cameras and MP3's, they are more likely to walk away empty-handed.
- Install a good home security system. An approved and professionally maintained camera and alarm system will not only make your home more secure but it could also make your home insurance premiums lower. Some insurers will offer a security discount if you have an alarm or other professionally maintained security system installed. Contact us to discuss your home security requirements further.
- Time your lights. Set your lights to come on a various intervals when you are away to make your home appears occupied.
- Cancel any unnecessary deliveries. Make sure milk or newspapers won't be delivered when you are away. You should also ask a neighbour or someone you trust to open and close curtains and collect mail for you until you return.
- Don't leave keys in obvious places. Thieves may watch your property before breaking in and if they can see that you hide your keys under a door mat, this will give them an easy way in. Also beware of 'hook and crook' thieves who will hook your keys through a letterbox if they are left close enough to your door.
- Install security lighting. Not only will this make your property safe for your visitors it will also put off any potential thieves - they are less likely to hang around your property if they are in full view of others.
To check if you live in a burglary hotspot, MoneySuperMarket have produced this handy burglary hotspot tool to check how your home address compares with the rest of the UK.
Top Rank Security Services Limited are a nationwide home security provider based in Nottingham.